Viewing 10 items in Christ Church Cathedral
1892 – 2017
125 years of Christ Church Cathedral
In February 2017, Christ Church Cathedral, Stanley, in the Falkland
Islands celebrated the 125th anniversary of its consecration.
Shortly after the capital of the Falkland Islands was moved from Port
Louis to Stanley in the mid-1800s, the Exchange Building was erected on
the harbour front where the Cathedral now stands. In 1865 the eastern
wing was given by government for use as a church and was named Holy
Trinity Church, but never consecrated.
On the 21st December 1869 Waite Hockin Stirling was consecrated Bishop
of the new Diocese of the Falkland Islands. This was a vast new
missionary Diocese which incorporated the whole of South America with
the exception of British Guiana. In January 1872 he was enthroned as
Bishop of his Diocese in Holy Trinity Church in Stanley.
The Reverend Lowther E. Brandon was appointed Colonial Chaplain to the
Islands in 1877 and from the time of his arrival he sensed that Holy
Trinity Church was not satisfactory as the cathedral church of this vast
new Diocese. In 1882 a church building committee was formed to plan for
the building of a new church, and when, in 1886, a peat slip destroyed
the Exchange building and, with it, Holy Trinity Church, plans gathered
momentum. From that time, Bishop Stirling and Reverend Brandon worked
tirelessly for the erection of the Cathedral.
The Falkland Island Government granted the site and the stone of the
demolished Exchange building and the right to quarry stone free on Crown
lands. Three thousand pounds was raised by Bishop Stirling through an
appeal launched in the United Kingdom in November 1888 which was managed
by his son-in-law, Mr Robinson. Donations included £30 given by Queen
Victoria. The first donation of three sovereigns was given to the appeal
fund within the Islands by the captain of a merchant vessel which had
foundered off Cape Horn and other skippers followed suit. Fund raising
events, and individual, and corporate donations raised sufficient funds
to allow the building to go ahead.
The Cathedral is built of local stone with red brick dressing. The
building is one hundred and fourteen feet long and just over fifty feet
The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Stirling and Governor Kerr on
the 6th March 1890 and work progressed using local labour supervised by
a working foreman mason from the United Kingdom. Fundraising continued
as the actual cost was around £12,000. (In this 125th Anniversary year
fundraising to replace the roof and do other necessary renovation work
has totalled over £327,000, all raised within the Falkland Islands).
The consecration of Christ Church Cathedral took place in the forenoon
of the 21st February 1892, in the presence of a Congregation of over
three hundred. The Captain, Chaplain, and other Officers of H.M.S.
“Cleopatra”, with nearly 100 seamen and marines, manifested their
interest by assisting on the occasion.
The Falkland Islands Magazine reported on the event in its March edition:
‘A succession of days of beautiful weather preceded the day of opening
the church; but the early hours of Feb 21 were wet and stormy, causing
some misgiving to the wakeful as to what the riper hours would prove to
be. The sun, however, triumphed, and bright skies looked down
propitiously upon the solemn ceremonial. We devoutly hope that Christ
Church may be a bond of union and a permanent blessing to the Residents
of Stanley, and to the Colonists at large. By the Constitution the
Church is of course Episcopal, and on the lines of the Mother Church in
England. It has a Cathedral dignity, and at the same time is to be used
as the People’s Church, under popular management’
The magazine article concluded, ‘We hope to see... Christ Church,
Stanley become known far and wide as a monument of Christian Faith, rich
in the beauty of holiness, a praise and a joy in the earth’.
As in many churches, the pews are equipped with kneelers in front of the
seating bench so that members of the congregation can kneel on them
instead of the floor. The kneelers in Christ Church Cathedral have been
designed by past and present members of the congregation and depict many
interesting aspects of life in the Falklands.
Each sheet of stamps includes two examples of these beautiful kneelers
in the central gutters:
31p “The Secretariat” designed by Angela Lee and stitched by Emalina
Woodward and “View of Surf Bay” designed and stitched by Carol Cant.
76p “View of Christ Church Cathedral” designed and stitched by Kate
Stevens and “View of the Lady Elizabeth Wreck” designed by Nikki Buxton
and stitched by Mannie Curd.
£1.01 “Body Creek Bridge” designed by Angela Lee and stitched by Phyllis
Jaffray and “Cape Pembroke Lighthouse” designed and stitched by Helen
£1.22 “Falkland Islands Crest” charted by Jenny Cox and stitched by Jan
Miller and “Rockhopper Penguin” designed by Jenny Cox and stitched by
Designer Bee Design
Printer Cartor Security Printing
Process Stochastic Lithography
Perforation 13 x 13 ¼ per 2cm
Stamp size 30.6 x 38mm
Sheet Layout 20 (2 x 10) with pictorial gutters.
Release date 18 December, 2017
Production Co-ordination Creative Direction (Worldwide) Ltd
For further information, please contact either Charles Pobjoy
Pobjoy Mint Ltd, Tel: +44 (0) 1737 818181, Fax: +44 (0) 1737 818199
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Juliet Warner email: email@example.com