- 1867 Postage frank is used for the first time to mark mail as 'postage paid'
- 1878 Falkland Islands stamps introduced
- 1883 Falkland Islands stamps produced on watermarked paper
- 1887 Stanley post office opens
- 1899 Opening of post office at Fox Bay East
- 1909 Post Office opened on New Island
- 1916 New Island post office closes
- 1929 Pictorial stamps introduced for the first time
- 1933 Famous 'Centenary Edition' of 12 pictorial stamps issued featuring Falklands scenes, wildlife and industries
- 1944 Stamps first issued for the Falkland Islands Dependencies
- 1978 Philatelic Bureau established to sell Falkland Islands stamps worldwide mail order
- 1984 Opening of MPA post office
- 2003 Islands awarded postcode FIQQ 1ZZ
- 2014 Falkland Islands Government outsourced the management of the post and philatelic service to the newly established company FPS Limited on 1st August
About the FPS team
FPS Limited was established in July 2014 in time to take over the management of the post and philatelic service on behalf of the Falkland Islands Government on the 1st August 2014. The key function of our Philatelic service is the marketing and sales of Falkland Islands stamps.
The role of Post Master and the responsibility of postage rates, design and value of all stamp and philatelic products remains the responsibility of the Falkland Islands Government.
In order to be able to represent our customers we have two seats on the Stamp Advisory Committee filled by our Philatelic Sales Manager and Managing Director. The SAC are responsible for determining the subject, timing and format of both commemorative and definitive stamp issues for the Falkland Islands.
FPS Limited are also responsible for providing marketing and sales function for other Overseas Territories including South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands and British Antarctic Territory.
A new team was established to deliver a modernised service which over the period of the contract will include key changes (e.g. postal service will move to a 24hr mail access system, and the philatelic will provide an online shopping cart service).
Our staff is separated into two different functions, our Postal service team and our Philatelic service team all managed by Lindsay Bonner, Managing Director.
Although two teams, we work together as one on the same premises to provide an efficient, effective and friendly customer service for both our local and international markets.
Currently we have five full time, two part time and a bank of casual staff to facilitate the delivery of this service.